Let’s see if I can include images…


mmm, how about source code? code \begin{tikzpicture}[rotate=90] \newcommand{\aset}2{$\{#1,#2\}$} \GraphInit[vstyle=Empty] \SetVertexNoLabel \SetUpVertex[MinSize=20pt] \grPetersen[RA=3,RB=1.5] \AssignVertexLabel{a}{5}{\aset{1}{2},\aset{3}{4},\aset{1}{5},\aset{2}{3},\aset{4}{5}} \AssignVertexLabel{b}{5}{\aset{3}{5},\aset{2}{5},\aset{2}{4},\aset{1}{4},\aset{1}{3}} \end{tikzpicture} code

Hopefully it will work…

UPDATE: Ok, including images really work! I will have to check options to get control on the placement, though.

Source code inclusion did not actually work, but since I do not know org-mode well, probably I’m not doing it correctly. OK, time to read the guide!

UPDATE 2: Let us try punchagan’s suggestion for source code…


Hopefully it will work now. By the way, isn’t it nice to be able to update posts from within Emacs?

I am now testing org2blog for posting from Emacs to WordPress. It looks impressive and gives still another reason to finally look seriously into org-mode.

Pretest Emacs does not come with the newest org-mode. I installed to my personal site-lisp dir changing the following from the Makefile:

lispdir = $(prefix)/site-lisp/org-mode

and then make and make install.

Then, I added the following to my .emacs

(setq load-path (cons "~/site-lisp/org-mode" load-path)).

I did not need to add anything else for org-mode to be selected automatically in .org files, and the (global) key bindings to be defined. Unfortunately, I could not install the new info files.

UPDATE: For 7.4 I used the following lines in the Makefile:

# Where local software is found

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = $(prefix)/site-lisp/org-mode-7.4

leaving alone infodir. Besides make, and make install, I had to run make install-info.

I could compile pretest Emacs. I had to install the packages

xorg-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgif-dev libtiff-dev

and then I could run:

./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk



I like to add new packages and fonts to texlive. In order to keep clean the main texmf tree, I add new texmf trees by subject, for example, I have one called texmf-fonts, and another called texmf-chess.

To add new texmf trees, I modify the variable TEXMFHOME from the file /etc/texmf/texmf.d/05TeXMF.cnf
as in:

TEXMFHOME = {$HOME/texmf,$HOME/texmf-fonts,$HOME/texmf-chess}

then I run:

sudo update-texmf


sudo texhash

And that should be all so that LaTeX can find new packages.

To add new fonts, I add the font files to the tree texmf-fonts. I created a file myfonts.cfg in the directory /etc/texmf/updmap.d/. In myfonts.cfg I add lines of the style Map whatever.map accordingly. Then I run:

update-updmap --conf-dir=/etc/texmf/updmap.d/

and finally:

sudo updmap.

Done! Now texlive should find the new fonts and packages.

I left

sudo apt-get install aspell aspell-en aspell-es build-essential compiz emacs-goodies-el fruit ghostscript glaurung gnuchess gnuchess-book graphviz hoichess imagemagick inkscape k3b latex-beamer lmodern org-mode texlive texlive-fonts-extra texlive-latex-extra texlive-math-extra

running overnight. I got the pleasant surprise that texlive is now version from 2009, and that a pretty recent version of emacs was installed. I think I will not install the pretest after all.

I installed ailurus from its .deb (getting the authentication key has never worked in this connection), and changed server to the fastest. Then I enabled Desktop Effects, accepted the NVIDIA stuff (which took longer than expected), and had to restart the computer.

Then the second batch of packages:

sudo apt-get install wine  devede vlc ttf-dejavu-extra toga2 tcl8.5-dev phalanx

which was downloaded in a few seconds.

I installed flash form the Adobe official site. Now I will install Ubuntu Tweak, and try to install the multimedia codecs and Adobe Reader, etc.

The most important change made with Ubuntu Tweak was installing the “simple compiz manager”. With it, I can use random effects when closing and opening windows. Cool!

Today, I started a brand new instance of Ubuntu Lucid alpha on my office computer. I will use this blog as a journal of the stuff I’m installing.

First, I’m running the Update Manager to get all updates since release. And it is taking a long time, even if I’m in Mexico and connecting to the server in Mexico. There are 257.2MB to get, at a speed of 18.8kb/s, it will take more than 3hrs. Next time, maybe the first thing to do would be to install and run Ailurus, to get the fastest server. I know it is not my connection, since I’m downloading the source of the Emacs pretest at 169bk/s. Using metalinks, the sage binary downloaded at a speed of 1Mb/s at times.

In the meantime, I will install the Firefox add-ons I use: AdBlock Plus, Better GReader, DownThemAll!, Google Bookmarks Button Reloaded, Shareaholic, Stop-or-Reload Button, Subtitle Matcher and Tree Style Tab.

Update: For netbooks, Classic Compact is a must!

I also tried to enable Visual Effects, which asked me to enable NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver. I tried to, but I received an unfriendly warning, probably because a synaptic instance was already running.